Note: Further updates to this post can now be found at andanyways.com
The challenge is to come up with 101 things that you want to achieve in the next 1001 days – that’s about 2.75 years. The theory is that for people like me with long-term dreams and a short-term focus, this sort of time period gives you a better chance of achieving the big stuff – it covers seasonal consideration and gives time for bookings, training etc, but also allows lots of smaller wins along the way to keep you going.
The deal isn’t so much to change the world as you know it – although who says that you can’t? – but rather to have somewhere and someway to keep track of all those little, middle and big things that you say you want to do someday.
It’s about ticking off achievable milestones along the way to bigger projects. The only criteria are that tasks must be really specific – measurable or clearly defined – realistic and represent some amount of effort on my part. My challenge starts today, August 27, 2018, and will end on May 24, 2021.
The hardest part of the challenge? Breaking things down to come up with 101 – and keeping it reasonably realistic. To do that I broke it down into categories. Although me being me, I’ve also thrown in some pie in the sky stuff too – I had to.
And for the positive living police, the weight loss thing is there for health reasons. My big aim is to do a 100km+ walk and at my current weight that’s way too much pressure and stress on my joints, heart and back. Ok?
Oh, and for Sam at The Annoyed Thyroid? There’s another one you can cross off your list.
Health and Fitness
1. Lose 5kgs. I’m guessing the 2kgs I lost and gained 3 times in 2018 doesn’t count. As at this morning, I’m 4 kgs into the first 5kgs.
2. Lose another 5kgs
3. Lose another 5kgs
4. Lose another 5 kgs
5. Take a tai-chi class
6. Take a yoga class
7. Take a pilates class
8. Walk the path from Pt Cartwright to Golden Beach. I’ve done 2 segments of this walk now: From Point Cartwright to Kawana, and from Currimundi to Moffat Beach.
9. Nail the Lara Drive stairs
10. Walk up the Ballinger Rd hill without stopping. I’m on my 2nd week of doing this twice a week in addition to my normal beach walk. I reckon it will take me 6 weeks before I can go up it in one go without stopping for photos to find a lung for a breather.
11. Walk up the Dixon Rd hill (there are a lot of hills in Buderim) without stopping.
12. Do the Noosa National Park Walk to Hells Gates and back via the inland track
13. Do the Noosa National Park Walk to Sunshine Beach
14. Walk up Emu Mountain
15. Walk up Mt Coolum
16. Average 10,000 steps a day for 30 days. Done – back in September. This is now updated to at least 30 minutes activity every day for 30 days.
17. Get into a meditation habit – 15 minutes a day for 30 days.
18. Have a photo shoot – outside, casual with decent hair and maybe even make-up – to get a decent bio pic and update my websites
19. Write the family history – on the Lyons side
20. Write the family history – on the Hamilton side
21. Update my will
22. Learn how to take decent food pictures. Not sure how to measure this, but I’ve absolutely improved.
23. Learn how to style brown food. As above.
24. Drive on the highway without having an anxiety thing
25. Go 30 days without spending money on books or music.
26. Get better at French – duolingo
27. Learn basic Italian – duolingo
28. Read 10 memoirs. According to my Goodreads list, so far I’ve read 6.
29. Read 5 craft, business or self-help books
30. Put our France photos into a digital photo book
31. Put our UK photos into a digital photo book
32. Put our Vietnam photos into a digital photo book. Done.
Blogs and Writing
33. Finish writing my France blogs.
34. Send out a monthly newsletter – every month
35. Publish Happy Ever After. Done.
36. Publish I Want You Back (Careful What You Wish For #1)
37. Finish the Tiff Book (Careful What You Wish For #2). Done. It’s been through structural editing so I’m in the middle of the rewrite.
38. Publish the Tiff book
39. Finish the Alice book (Careful What You Wish For #3) In draft.
40. Publish the Alice book
41. Release the Careful What You Wish For series as a box set
42. Publish ebook of recipes used in Wish You Were Here and Happy Ever After and use as a lead magnet for the newsletter
43. Set up kitchen diaries blog – Brookford Kitchen Diaries. Done.
44. Set up Clancy’s Campfire website. Done.
45. Publish Clancy of the Campfire
46. Write The Lilac Queen
47. Write the first book in the Alice Delaney mysteries
48. Write the first book in the Rambling Rose series
49. Mad About The Mac – the definitive mac cheese cookbook
50. Astro site – a monthly newsletter – every month.January done.
51. Astro – Jupiter ebook
52. Astro – Saturn ebook
53. Astro – beginners course
54. Astro – diary and planner
55. Astro – Moon ebook
56. Replace my day job income with income from writing etc
57. Sleep in a tent. Done. Ok, it was a posh tent, but a tent it was.
58. Do a road trip to Cairns
59. Do a road trip to Adelaide
60. Stay at the Eastern & Oriental in Penang
61. Walk up Queenstown Hill
62. Walk the lighthouse track in Byron Bay
63. Walk up Mount Warning in Byron Bay
64. Swim with sea-turtles
65. Snorkel in the Barrier Reef
66. Ride a horse along the beach at Noosa
67. Take a Noosa Everglades cruise
68. Fly business class
69. Eat at one of the world’s top 100 restaurants
70. Have Christmas in the UK
71. Wear a proper dressed up dress and heels for Christmas in the UK
72. Attend a Christmas midnight mass in a village church in the UK
73. Do a long distance walk in the UK – eg The Cotswolds Way, The Ridgeway, Hadrian’s Wall
74. See bluebells in a bluebell wood
75. Take a cruise to the Baltics for hubby’s 60th
76. Visit St Petersburg (as above)
77. Grow ginger
78. Grow garlic
79. Make dumplings
80. Make potato gnocchi that doesn’t bounce
81. Make focaccia. Done.
82. Cook steak to medium rare (hubby usually does this)
83. Make an omelette (he does this too)
84. Perfect the poached egg (he usually does this too). Done – thanks to Nigella.
85. Make decent scrambled eggs (and this – but I’m great at boiled and fried eggs)
86. Make a piccalilli. Done.
87. Make cannoli
88. Try 10 new meat-free dishes
89. Try 10 new soup recipes
90. Try 5 new ice creams or frozen desserts. So far I’ve made strawberry ice cream and a blender strawberry sorbet.
91. Make mayonnaise by hand
92. Make hollandaise by hand
93. Make bearnaise sauce by hand
94. Make honeycomb
95. Make marmalade
96. Make lemon curd. Done.
97. Make light as air cupcakes
98. Make a Victoria sponge
99. Make a Tarte Tatin
100. Cook my way through Nigella’s “How To Eat”. How to Cook “How To Eat”
101. Inspire someone else to write down 101 things to do in 1001 days.