Ok, so it’s my birthday on Monday.
I joke that last year (my 50th) was spent on a Jetstar flight back to Sydney. I’d had a flying visit to Queensland to see my family (who had already moved up) and had to fly back to Sydney to continue to pack the house up and be in the office the following day.
Don’t get me wrong; it wasn’t a bad day, it just wasn’t the day that I’d planned. I don’t do parties, but I’d been planning my 50th party for years. I ended up giving it to one of my characters for her 60th instead – the theme was denim and the music was retro pop. You’ll read about it in I Want You Back – when I finally release that.
Despite being away from my family there were some lovely bright spots in the day – a breakfast with my family before I went to the airport, a surprise afternoon tea with my parents and sisters when I finally got home (there was trackwork on the airport line which meant I had to bus it), and dinner and lots of bubbly with my neighbour.
This year we were supposed to be in Sydney over the weekend for a friend’s 50th, but some other stuff has got in the way. So we have some other lovely last minute things planned, and if they happen they do, and if they don’t, I’m sure there will be something else lovely. The members birthday gift at the Surf Club is a vienetta log, so there’s nothing but old-school good from that!
Anyways, because it’s my birthday I’m doing an update on my bucket list – always a good thing to do on one’s birthday. I get to cross things off that I’ve already done and have added a couple of new things to the list. If you’re interested, you’ll find my last update here.
Since my last update four items have been completed:
- Speak at a writing conference
- Go whale watching
- Have pho in Vietnam
- Cruise through Halong Bay
My list as it stands today is below*. The fine print is that I continue to reserve the right to add things as I see fit – I happen to think it’s karmicly (yes, that’s a made-up word) dangerous to have just a handful of things on a list. The fine fine print is that this doesn’t include all the places I want to go to – just the things I want to do…there’s a whole other list for travel!
- Make a proper living from writing (yes, there’s a $$ amount attached to this). I’m not sure if this is a bucket list item or a goal. Perhaps it’s both.
- See the cherry blossoms in Japan
- Ride a camel on the beach at Broome at sunset
- Swim with whale sharks somewhere
- Swim with sea turtles somewhere
- Snorkel in the Barrier Reef
- Attend an AFL Grand Final at the MCG. It would be a bonus if St Kilda or Richmond were playing. I’d consider the Anzac Day match a tick.
- Learn to cook a steak…to order… and get it right (hubby says there’s no need for me to learn how to do this because he does it so perfectly for me…)
- See the northern (or southern) aurora…lights, that is…and photograph them.
- Stay on a deserted (ok, not deserted- just not heavily populated but still with all the trimmings) island in the South Pacific.
- Get to my goal weight – and have a photo shoot to mark the occasion. Something tasteful and fun – on the beach.
- Learn another language and speak it in that country
- Spend three months living like a local in another country – I’ve always dreamed of Tuscany
- See a bluebell forest – like the one I wrote about in Wish You Were Here.
- Set a story around whisky in the Scottish Highlands or Shetland…
- Walk a very long way from pub to pub in either The Cotswolds or Cornwall
- A road trip through France in the Spring
- Do a cooking class in France
- Find one of those earnest writers style cafes in Paris to be earnest and literary in.
- Write some of my family history – or at least one of the stories.
*There are a couple of others that aren’t for public view…and no, I’m not telling!
It’s Lovin’ Life Linky time…
It’s Thursday, so it’s time to look for our happy and share it about a bit. The Lovin’ Life Linky is brought to you by Team Lovin’ Life: Deep Fried Fruit, Debbish, Seize the Day Project, Write of the Middle, 50 Shades of Age, and, of course, me.